We caught up with the guys that make up the International powerhouse trio IL VOLO. The trio-Gianluca Ginoble, Ignazio Boschetto, Piero Barone, have performed worldwide, released top-selling albums, toured with legendary songstress Barbra Streisand, taken the stage for three acclaimed PBS specials and a prestigious win at the Sanremo Music Festival in Italy, to name a few. The young trio is ushering in the next generation of classical and classic pop music lovers. They appeal to younger fans while still keeping the integrity and sound that is appreciated by mature audiences. Catch them on their 2017 American Tour of their latest album Notte Magica.
Photographer: Christopher Logan
Grooming: Natasha Leibel using Make Up Forever and Amika
Stylist: Ana Li Mraovitch
Post Production: Jonathan Luciano
1) Your album Notte Magica is out now. What went into make this album? What was it like working with Placido Domingo?
It was recorded live in Florence’s beautiful Piazza Santa Croce with Placido. It was a magical evening. He is an idol of ours.
2) Your sound has been described as “Classical Pop” how is classical music adapting to the new generations?
Classical music remains the same but the interpretations do evolve. We are proud to be part of a new generation that wants to interpret these songs paying tribute to it’s roots but also make them appealing to fans that are our age.
3) A lot has changed since your first album, how are you growing up into music?
I think the music we record is always timeless, and if anything being older now allows us now to appreciate the beautiful lyrics and melodies much more as we experience life.
4) We saw your Rolling Stones Italia photoshoot that doesn’t fit typical classical music mold, tell us how you are breaking “classical music” boundaries.
We are young, so doing shoots like Rolling Stone Italia is so much fun. What we have always tried to accomplish is to bring this beautiful music to people our age. We want to promote this timeless music that in our opinion should be enjoyed by the entire family.
5) How do you reach a younger generation with your music?
We have an extremely loyal fanbase that supports our projects and they are truly the reason for our success and for the visibility of our projects like “Notte Magica – A Tribute to The Three Tenors.”
6) Whats your favorite social media? Snapchat? Instagram? Twitter etc..
We love Instagram! @ilvolomusica
7) What is the funniest thing that has happened onstage or on tour?
We have had fans throw their lingerie on stage with phone numbers attached. That is very amusing!
Il Volo want you to know:
They are family men: “We love our family!”
Artists they love: “
We don’t always listen to Opera – we like other music too! We love Lady Gaga
, Bruno Mars
On the road necessity: “When we are on the road we love to workout at the local gym.”
Latest posts by Chiara Casiraghi- Brody (see all)